Friday, October 21, 2005

Management Skills

rhinoI worked for a short time with a guy who was made temporary head of our whole tiny world of work. He felt he was purpose built for the position. In fact he'd got the silky smooth management skills of a Sherman Tank or a Bulldozer. He sent for me one day to ask where Mr B. was.

"Drove him home," I said. "He wasn't fit for work."
"What's wrong with him?"
"His wife's had a very difficult pregnancy. She's been in labor for over 24 hours and the poor guy doesn't know whether he's coming or going. He's better off with her at the hospital."
"We'll take it off his paternity leave."

I looked at him. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "You'll do what?" I asked. "He's not well."
"Who said he's not well?"
"I did. That's why I took him home. He's unfit for work."
"So what? He's paid to be here not at home."
"The guy's not well. His wife has been in labor for over 24 hours. She's having real problems. Cut him some slack!"

"I'm not interested. I'm about as sympathetic as a rhinoceros with diarrhea."
"Can I quote you on that?" I asked and walked out.

After a few months, interviews were held for the full time head of whole tiny world of work. There was one internal candidate - Rhino. He didn't get the job and when the decision came through he burst into tears. Have to admit I was about as sympathetic as a "rhinoceros with diarrhea".

From the annals

Twelve months ago.

Late breaking news

Bogsville's worst air disaster occurred this afternoon when a two-seater Cessna, containing two unnamed males, crashed into the showpiece, Pearly Gates cemetery. Search and rescue workers have reported finding 135 bodies so far and expect those numbers to increase as digging continues this evening.
back 

arrow
teomalink