Sunday, October 16, 2005

Why Don't They All F-f-fade Away?

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

When the Who recorded My Generation back on October 13th, 1965 they got it right. Four young guys singing about their reluctance to subscribe to a world run by old farts who wanted everybody to conform."Hope I die before I get old" was a chilling but totally appropriate line.

Sadly Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Brian Jones, Keith Moon, Jimi Hendrix, Janice Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain and countless others all managed to do it and keep their reputations as rockers intact. Just as sadly, The Rolling Stones and McCartney bandwagons continue to roll on and on and on. There is something obscene about Sir Mick Jagger and Sir Paul McCartney continuing to strut their stuff ad nauseam as if they are still the real deal.

"The idea of retiring is like killing yourself. It's almost like hari-kari. I intend to live to be 100 and go down in history," Keith Richards told the Australian Broadcasting Company. Sorry Keith it was the years of heroin addiction not retirement that was almost like hari-kari.

I notice that the recent Toronto McCartney set list did not include When I'm 64. Does that mean next year will see the McCartney Now I'm 64 extravaganza?

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not wishing the Endless Sleep on you guys - just a long and happy retirement with all your iPod memories.

Hey kids - Get the rebel back in the Rock 'n' Roll will you and help these over indulged old farts of rock grow up and f-fade away once and for all.

back 

arrow
teomalink