Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Ed McBain

ed mcbainI am devastated. Yes I know that it's a crap emotional term, but I am devastated because as far as I know I've just read the last two books that Ed McBain aka Evan Hunter wrote before he died.

I've been reading Ed McBain since the 1950's and no matter what crap the World hurled my way there was always the next Ed McBain to look forward to. Now he's gone and Steve Carella, Teddy, Bert, Meyer and the others are left floating in limbo with no one to finish it off for them.

Now I'll never know whether Fat Ollie get into her pants. Not unless he writes the book himself I won't. I'm damn sure that umpteen people will have a go but that's all that it will be. Just people having a go.

Last Summer I sat down and read them all again to see the changes. To see what indications there were about 50 years' worth of change in society. I had this idea about putting it into a database. I didn't do it. Now I'm stuck here worrying about what's going to happen to New York and, in particular, the 87th Precinct and all those people I grew up with and care so much about.

I thought that Alice in Jeopardy, not an 87th Precinct story, was absolutely superb. I kept putting it down because I didn't want to read it at one sitting. I knew that there were no more stories to come. I struggled even more, not to finish the final 87th Precinct story. I'd saved that until last.

The strange thing is that what stuck in my mind, with both books was the overt criticism of the Bush Presidency. I now have to reread everything yet again to see what political comment there has been over the 50 odd years of the 87th Precinct. I'm sure it's there. It's just that I probably don't remember it.

Ed. wherever you are, I just want to say thank you for all the years of pleasure that you have given me since I was a teenager and got hooked on Cop Hater. God bless you sir.

back 

arrow
teomalink