Friday, July 07, 2006

Neal 4 Channel Resolver

Track of the day Three Steps To Heaven - Eddie Cochran.

neal_4 channel_resolverI'm feeling very pleased with myself. I've got to share this with someone and as there isn't anyone to talk to here except Dog, I'm posting it.

I got fed up with sitting upstairs listening to all my mp3 creations so I decided to wireless them downstairs to the Leak 2060 speakers. The Leaks are the front speakers and there are a couple of Celestions lurking in the background as rear speakers. We've had 4 speakers for just as long as I can remember.

It all started back in the 70s when I read a piece in a magazine about the David Hafler method of creating ambient stereo surround sound. I can remember hanging an old pair of speakers on the back wall and wiring the two negative terminals together. The positive terminals were connected to the positive outputs on the second speaker output from the amplifier. At least, I think that's what I did.

The object of the exercise was to get the difference between the two stereo channels coming out of the rear speakers while the normal stereo output came through the front speakers. It seemed to work ok. We even had the television coming through the amp and speakers. The only problem there was that you could hear the rubber camera wheels squeaking on the studio floor. Well it was back in 1970 something.

Later I spotted an advert for a 'Neal 4 Channel Resolver' so I bought one of those. This did more or less the same thing but there were three knobs that allowed you to vary the volume coming from the rear speakers, switch them off if you wanted to and change the output to front speakers or rear speakers only or standard stereo instead of 4 channel surround. The Neal box has been connected up for around thirty years now though it has occasionally gone a couple of years switched to standard stereo output.

Back to the bragging. I've networked Mrs B's laptop with my home made effort and the laptop is now relaying the mp3s into the stereo system downstairs. What a difference! Upstairs I play stuff through a pair of AE speakers with a matching sub-woofer. I thought that was good but the same stuff feeding through the Leaks and the Celestions via the Neal Resolver is far better. It's not just the Shuttle that makes use of 30 year old technology!


logo_leeds_uk_heavy metal_rock_band_nerve engine
back 

arrow
teomalink