Thursday, July 06, 2006

Ain't Misbehavin'

Track of the day Ain't Misbehavin' - Louis Armstrong.

louis armstrong_jack teagardenI'm back in the middle of the last century here. The record goes on the turntable, usually after it's been swilling under the tap to remove the filth, and I'm suddenly experiencing all the emotions I felt back then when I played them for the first time.

There's a brown notebook somewhere, that I filled with track titles and musician lineups. I might not have had a clue about Racine, Corneille and Goethe but I knew who the musicians were in the bands I listened to. It wasn't always that easy to work out who was playing what because there was no internet to research and the old 78s just had plain brown paper sleeves but it's amazing what you can come up with if it really matters to you.

It's a pity that I didn't get the same excitement out of academic work but that's the way it was. The track that I put up yesterday didn't really do much for me musically but it did name the musicians. This version of Ain't Misbehavin', the Fats Waller song, did get to me. Armstrong's trumpet break at around two minutes made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck and still does today.

The trombonist is Jack Teagarden and the clarinetist is Peanuts Hucko.

The track was recorded when I was two or three years old. By the time I was listening to it Presley was recording for Sun Records and the jazzmen were very old. In actual fact they were younger than I am now but just about everyone seems really old when you're only twelve.


logo_leeds_uk_heavy metal_rock_band_nerve engine
back 

arrow
teomalink