Monday, July 03, 2006

Answer Phone Message

Track of the day The First Cut Is The Deepest - Sheryl Crow.

red_spider_miteI dialled the number and the answer phone message kicked in on the other end of the line.
"The dental surgery is closed. If you have an emergency and can't wait until the Autumn, phone 08... etc. etc."
I really couldn't believe what I was hearing. Closed until the Autumn!
Listen lady I'm in pain, my jaw is blown up like a FIFA football and I haven't been able to eat anything that required chewing for the last week and a half.
I phoned the emergency number that the recorded message gave me. The line was dead. Nothing.
I double checked it. Still nothing.

I climbed into Volvo and drove over to the surgery. The windows were open, the front door was unlocked so I walked in and climbed the stairs. The receptionist was painting something in chinese characters for a little old chinese lady. The waiting room was full of serious looking, little old chinese ladies and a couple of serious looking, little old chinese men. I'd never seen so many chinese people together in one place since I was in Hong Kong.

The receptionist seemed confused when I told her about the recorded message. "Autumn?" she said and smiled at me as if I was totally mad.
"Yes Autumn. I thought you'd all gone on holiday."
"We're not that wealthy yet," she said and gave me an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I could have joined the crowd in the waiting room but decided against it. There are a lot of people in China.

I wandered across the road to the Hypermarket. There's a shoe repairer in there and I'd brought a pair of leather shoes to be repaired. The guy filled in a card and gave me the tear off receipt section.
"Do you want to pay now?" he asked.
"Why not?" I said. "How much is it?"
"£32.50 sir."
I thought I'd misheard.
"£32.50!" I screeched.
"That's right sir. We only use the highest quality leathers and you certainly won't get a replacement pair of shoes like that for £32.50."

It's a fine thing when you have to use a credit card to pay for a damn shoe repair. I'm going to shoot those two magpies.


logo_leeds_uk_heavy metal_rock_band_nerve engine
back 

arrow
teomalink