Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Dog Flies High On Morphine

Tuesday.

I intended to follow up on the wind farms but I'm now back on Dog's saga.

I've just been sitting with him for the best part of an hour waiting to be seen by a vet. As far as I'm concerned I've borrowed Dog for the night and he was going back to the vet for treatment and observation today.

As far as the vets are concerned they don't know anything about Dog except that he had a big operation. Eventually I was asked to sign a consent form to allow them to treat him. You have got to be joking - I signed the form last Thursday when he went in for a routine chest x-ray. "I don't know anything about that - I've never seen the dog."

Dog's got a drain hanging out of his chest, an intra-venous tap in his leg, a huge bandage round his chest covering up where they spent two and a half hours removing a lung abscess and I'm getting the "What seems to be the problem?" treatment.

I felt like saying, "Hi Doc can you have a look at my dog. I spent last night taking bits out of him and now I'm kind of stuck. I don't know what to do next. Any ideas?"

Eventually they found someone in a white coat who actually knew why Dog was there, 3ml of fluid was drawn off his chest and it was decided the drain could be removed so off he went for another shot of anaesthetic through the intra-venous tap. "We'll ring you in about 45 minutes."

The drain's out and he's getting a couple of antibiotic doses through the tap in his leg. Very useful these taps - we should all have one fitted. "Bring him back tonight.......I'll give you some tablets to suppress the cough.....Bring him in tomorrow morning again.......Come and get him at 10:45". Suddenly it all sounds very professional - I'm not convinced.

What with the morphine, the anaesthetic and the antibiotics that have gone in through that tap I'm expecting to see Dog flying home like Superman. Cocaine, Heroin, LSD anyone?

No Bandage

Dog is now bandageless and drainless but he still has the tap. He's going back tonight for another round of antibiotics.

Can anyone knit him a jumper?
back 

arrow
teomalink