Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Cock-Up in Bogsville

Tuesday.

Wouldn't you just know it. No sooner does life seem to quieten down than my sleep is ended by a loud noise like a dentist's drill. I assumed it was Mrs Bogs using the hair-dryer. It wasn't.

When I get downstairs I'm told the central heating boiler is making a very strange noise. Yes, you got it, the drilling noise that woke me up. Then the boiler switches off.

Mrs Bogs opens the refrigerator and announces that we're in the middle of a power cut. No we are not because the lights are still on. Out to the garage to inspect the consumer unit with its MCB switches. The main switch has tripped and trips again when I switch back on.

Back to the kitchen, switch off the heating boiler and then back to the garage to try again. Brilliant - all power restored. Now I just have to wait until I can get someone to replace the heating pump. I'm assuming that that's what tripped the circuit. I can't think of anything else that would make a noise like a mad dentist's drill.

"What are you going to blog about now that you can't complain about the Hole in the Ground?" asked Merl and Raul last night. I assured them that something would go wrong and now it has. In Bogsville no sooner does one door open than another one closes.

Amazingly the Bogs superspeeder computer with its array of dangling drives seems to have survived juicelessness and the subsequent massive power surge. Another miracle!

The good news is that our friendly local central heating engineer is coming out to investigate.

The bad news is that he's not coming until Friday! Mrs Bogs will be ecstatic. Wait a minute - if the consumer unit was tripped by the pump blowing, gravity feed should still heat upstairs even though the pump is off. Can I risk switching back on?

Been there, done that and it tripped out again as soon as a solenoid opened or closed on the boiler somewhere. Sod it all I'm emigrating! I'll go and cuddle the back of the freezer.

Did you know there's a product out there called a Cock-Up Splint!

No I wasn't expecting that either.

Merl's blogging now.

back 

arrow
teomalink