Sunday, November 14, 2004

No Place Like Bogsville

Sunday.

Big problems staggering back from the Hole in the Ground last night. The back strain caused by lifting coughing dog in and out of the back of the car has made walking a real trial.

As a result I'm having to rest up for a day in the hope that I will be more mobile by tomorrow.

The tens machine has been working overtime and I am now reasonably pain free. I'm full of static and my hair is standing on end but I live in hope of normal service being resumed tomorrow.

After a few days in Prague I can now report that the Hole in the Ground is far worse than I originally thought. In Prague waiters took your glass away as soon as you got to the last drop and offered an instant full replacement, ashtrays were taken away as soon as a cigarette was stubbed out and plates disappeared as soon as you put a knife or fork down. The efficiency was at times, terrifying.

In Bogsville's Hole in the Ground bar things are far more relaxed. The service is disappointingly slow. I think it would be possible to be in there all evening without anyone noticing that you were sans drink.

The ledge under the cash till or the floor seems to serve instead of ashtrays and new customers have to push piles of dirty glasses and empty crisp packets out of the way before they can put their own drinks down on the tables.

It is quite simply one of the dirtiest and most depressing bars that I have ever been in. It really does make you wonder what the kitchens are like.

In Prague I witnessed a barman honking into a wash-basin. Last night in the Hole in the Ground it was a customer spraying vomit around the Gents' toilets. Strange effect I have on people.
back 

arrow
teomalink