Thursday, March 15, 2007

I Believe

Track of the day - I Believe - Frankie Laine.

singalong_tonyblair

"I Believe", was the title of a song made popular by Frankie Laine in the 1950's.
It was so popular in the UK that the record was in the charts for 18 weeks.
I remember because I used to wander around, trying to sing it.
I only had to hear the words "I believe" and I'd burst into song -
"I believe for every drop of rain that falls,
A flower grows,
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night,
A candle glows.
I believe for everyone who goes astray,
Someone will come to show the way.
I believe,
I believe.
"
Nowadays when I hear that phrase on the radio or television,it's usually part of a Blair speech and my first reaction is not to burst into song but to switch off or retune to another station.
Why?
Because Blair uses the words 'ad nauseam'.
Google 'Tony Blair "I believe" Iraq' and call up the google cached pages.
The phrase comes up in green so it's easy to spot.

Yes I still naïvely believe that somewhere in the darkest night, a candle glows and that for everyone who goes astray, someone will come to show the way.
But that someone certainly isn't Tony Blair.

back 

arrow
teomalink