Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Easy

Advent Calendar link.

Track of the day - Stormy Monday Blues - Earl Hines & Dizzy Gillespie

fish_sign_aberdeenYesterday I had a piece prepared about online tax discs from the DVLA. At some point during the evening the computer decided to shut down.
Needless to say I hadn't saved the piece. I'll try again.

"You can get your Tax Disc online now. It's easy," she said.
I rushed off to prove that any site set up by a Government Department would be so full of bugs that using it would be anything but easy.
My first attempt resulted in this screen.
Subsequent attempts failed when the site couldn't identify my car from the details I entered resulting in the suggestion that I should visit a Post Office. But then a miracle! - My car was identified as being insured and MOT'd and a screen appeared full of 'fill in to pay' boxes.
Disaster - just as I was about to pay for a brand new computerised tax disc, this screen came up.
Eventually I managed to get to and complete the pay page. I elected to pay by credit card but when I pressed the pay button I got a warning that paying by credit card would cost an extra £2.50 on top of the £175.
And there was me feeling guilty because I was saving the DVLA money by taking the job away from a counter clerk. I changed the method of payment to my debit card.
In all I suppose it took me three quarters of an hour to get the site to do what it was supposed to do. At the end of everything I was told that the disc would be posted to me within five days and that if I hadn't received it in the stipulated time I should phone such and such a number. Five days - at Christmas! They must be joking. It would have been easier to go to the Post Office.

Later this evening I went along to the Hole in the Ground bar. The screen on the cash machine read "Terminal Ready". I found the word 'terminal' somewhat alarming but appropriate.
At closing time plus a few minutes the seven guys playing cards with pound coins piled up on the table in front of them complained bitterly when they didn't get served.
"It's your loss. We'll take our trade elsewhere."
Just as well. The bar doesn't have a licence for gambling.

logo_leeds_uk_heavymetal_rock_band_nerve engine.
A Nerve Engine MP3 to download :
Nerve Engine - Distance
or go to NE's My Space page to stream it.
Nerve Engine Gig Gallery
back 

arrow
teomalink