Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Sadistic Tendencies

Track of the day You Enjoy Myself - Phish.

gurning man who has stopped voting labourI am off to my little Chinese dentist's fun palace where I will again lie back and try to think of England.

I'm now back in Bogsville and can report that that little woman has sadistic tendencies. Unfortunately I've just discovered that masochism is not one of my strong points. In fact I appear to have a very low pain threshold. She might be small but she's wiry and had me whimpering in no time at all.

The guy sitting next to me in the waiting room said he was 78 years old. His state pension is £84.25 a week and he was having to pay £183 for a denture to replace his bottom teeth. He told me that it was a toss up between having teeth but not being able to afford anything to eat and spending the money on food but not being able to chew it. It seems wrong to me that a person who has spent his whole life working and paying taxes to support the National Health Service should, at the age of 78, have to make choices like that.
"I've been a Labour man all my life," he said, "but not any more."
I'm not surprised.

I've now discovered that I've bitten a great lump out of the inside of my anaesthetised bottom lip. Luckily I have a useful instruction sheet that tells me to avoid spitting, hot food and beverages, smoking, alcohol, strenuous activities or exercise for the next 24 hours. I always avoid people who spit but the rest of your helpful advice, Ms Chung, has fallen on very stony ground.
back 

arrow
teomalink