Sunday, May 21, 2006

Larkin About In Coventry

Track of the day Willow Weep For Me - Jessica Williams.

coventry

I Remember, I Remember,

Coming up England by a different line
For once, early in the cold new year,
We stopped, and, watching men with number plates
Sprint down the platform to familiar gates,
'Why, Coventry!' I exclaimed. 'I was born here.'

I leant far out, and squinnied for a sign
That this was still the town that had been 'mine'
So long, but found I wasn't even clear
Which side was which. From where those cycle-crates
Were standing, had we annually departed

For all those family hols? . . . A whistle went:
Things moved. I sat back, staring at my boots.
'Was that,' my friend smiled, 'where you "have your roots"?'
No, only where my childhood was unspent,
I wanted to retort, just where I started:

You can read Philip Larkin's poem in its entirety here.

Blueyonder Announcement

Digital customers nationally may currently be unable to view Red Hot All Girl purchased via our Pay Per Night service. Our engineers are now investigating this issue.
Sounds like we switched to Sky just in the nick of time.

The medical type next door has just nailed up the entrance to the blue tit nest in the roof space over his kitchen door. He might have waited until the parent birds and the fledglings had left the nest. Sensitive souls these medics.
back 

arrow
teomalink