Thursday, May 18, 2006

Birthday Blues

Track of the day Azure - Ella Fitzgerald.

birthday suit womanToday is my birthday. I usually get the birthday blues and mope around for days but this year I find that I'm not really bothered at all.
I've discovered that I'm one year younger than I thought I was going to be.

Last year I was as miserable as sin. For months I went round bemoaning the passing of the years and then sometime just after Christmas this year Mrs B. checked a form I was filling in and pointed out that I had made a mistake in my addition.

I'm the first to admit that basic addition, or any other form of mathematics come to that, has never been my strong point. It was drilled home to me at an early age.
"Some boys have worked hard and they'll pass and some haven't and they won't - will they Bogs?"
Anyway it was as if a great burden had been lifted from my shoulders, an almost spiritual uplifting but without the burning bush or bush of any kind really.

It didn't make any tangible difference to my life or to the way that other people perceived me. As far as they were concerned I was still a miserable old wrinkly but I felt strangely resurrected or uplifted even.

So here I am on May 18 2006 failing to celebrate the same bloody birthday that I failed to celebrate last year. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. I'll have to find myself another personal trainer. Meanwhile I think I'll go and toot my saxophone.
back 

arrow
teomalink