Thursday, March 09, 2006

Drawers & Filing Systems

Track of the day Life Begins Again - The Complex.

fix itI never got the hang of filing cabinets and their hanging dividers. I could never work out which divider or which drawers to put things in, so I just piled things up on the desk and forgot about the drawers. Recent at the top, old at the bottom. Everything was there somewhere, it just took a while to find it.

Every now and again some well meaning person would come along and "clean up". Disaster! The piles of stuff would disappear and I wouldn't have a clue what was where. My whole storage system would crash and it would take months of neglect to get it back so I could locate anything.

That's how my computer is organised, or disorganised if you prefer to see it that way. Everything is, or was, in there somewhere and I can usually find the piece I'm looking for. Well I could find what I was looking for until the backup software screwed everything up for me. I'm now so terrified of losing anything that I have half a dozen backups of both hard drives on the external drive that is now mysteriously showing up as external USB drive D: and is listed before the second internal drive E: that used to be known as Drive D:. It's all very confusing. I've just spent two hours trying to get into my FTP server files. I'm in there now but I can't remember which combination of attempts was successful so there's no guarantee that I'll be able to get back in next time.

The irony of all this is that I was attempting to safeguard my files when I spent silly money on the, what a brilliant idea, external drive. If I'd left everything as it was, I'd probably be physically, mentally and financially far better off.

Adding to all my woes is the fact that Blogger is now unwilling to connect and it's raining.
back 

arrow
teomalink