Sunday, March 05, 2006

Poorer But Legal

Track of the day Sumphin - Sonny Rollins Sonny Stitt and Dizzy Gillespie.
Question - Why do they play so fast when they improvise?
Answer - Why do dogs lick their balls? Because they can.
Unfortunately, or fortunately if you see what I mean, I can manage neither.

whatHi there everyone. Everything is back up and running again after my enforced layoff. I'm poorer but legal now and all the old settings still seem to be as they were before Friday's disaster. My worst fears about losing all my photographs and MP3 files have been allayed.

I'm tempted to retrace my steps and see what it was on that commercial Jazz CD that screwed everything up but I'm reluctant to have to go through all the time consuming fixes again. Reload using last successful configuration didn't work. A repair installation did but I had to get a new copy of the OS sofware to do it. Mine's up North somewhere.

While I was collecting a new copy from out of town because they don't stock my version of XP in Bogsville I picked up a 250Gb external drive so that I would always have a current backup copy. I couldn't believe how totally lost I was without access to the computer.

Unfortunately, when I got back to Bogsville Heights, I discovered that there was no installation disk or Dantz Retrospect software in the box with the drive. I've backed up using XP's backup utility but if you're out there Merl, I think the Western Digital external drive is the same as your drive so I'm hoping that your installation disk contains the Windows version as well as the Mac version. Hell, I can't be bothered to go all the way back with the drive. If I can't borrow the software I'll phone them up and insist on them mailing me the missing bits. I'll do that anyway.
back 

arrow
teomalink