Thursday, February 23, 2006

Congestion Charges Scam

Track of the day Think - Lynn Collins & The JB's.

looseWhat an interesting couple of days. The GPS box talked me into London and then round and round and round and round. I think that "Recalculating" must be the name of one of the London Boroughs, I heard it so often.

"In 0.4 miles bear left and then keep right. Turn left now. Recalculating. Recalculating. Recalculating."

I drove round and round in circles during the rush hour and passed one police station at least three times. Always travelling in the same direction. What I was worried about was whether I'd got into the congestion charge area and how I would know if I had. I sort of assumed that I would get a bill sent to me if I had.

Much later, after I'd landed in the Loose Women Basement Rock Bar just off Piccadilly, it was explained to me that the charge would be £8 and I had until midnight to pay it, otherwise I would have to pay a fixed penalty of £50.

Mrs B. was contacted and got in touch with the helpful Congestion Charge switchboard girls. They explained that they couldn't tell her if I'd been in the zone until after midnight when they did a sweep of the database to see who hadn't paid. By then it would be too late and if I had been inside the zone, I would indeed be charged £50. They then asked if she would like to pay the £8 for me just in case. She paid.

Do we get the money back if I haven't been in the zone? No, just a receipt by post for the donation. What a bloody scam! It couldn't happen to anyone else.
back 

arrow
teomalink