Monday, January 16, 2006

Fizzy Drinks & Green Pigs

Track of the day Cosmosis - Dave Holland Quintet.

sugarSugar packed drinks are good for memory.

They are bad for your teeth and just about everything else but they help you to remember things. According to psychologists from Glasgow University, they have a significant effect on the brain's ability to store and retrieve memories. Well that's what a report in the Scotsman says.

It may well be true because my daily intake of sugar is virtually nil as is my ability to remember anything. I have a note here that says I've to go to the post office. I can't remember why but when I get there I'll buy a fizzy drink if I can remember and see if that jogs my memory.

Another forgettable piece of research

pigIf you need a fluorescent pig read on. Scientists in Taiwan have managed to breed three pigs that glow in the dark. They were created by adding DNA from jellyfish into 256 pig embryos that were implanted in eight sows.

This resulted in the birth of three male pigs that glow in the dark and have green eyes, teeth, trotters and internal organs. It also resulted in 253 embryos that 'went tits up' as they say in scientific circles.

Why anyone who doesn't work for Dudley Council's benefits department would want to breed pigs that glow in the dark is completely beyond me but then I'm not a research scientist.
back 

arrow
teomalink