Monday, January 09, 2006

Golf Practice

Track of the day 1959.

swingThis sporty little guy has been hanging around all day.

He reminds me of a guy I watched practising his swing one afternoon when I was out walking with Dog.

The guy was swinging away with his driver in a big empty rugby field surrounded by trees. Every time he hit a ball it would scream off to the left or right and disappear miles into the trees.

He would sigh, unwrap a brand new ball and crash that miles into the trees too.

Dog and I stood and watched him for about ten minutes. It seemed safer somehow than getting anywhere level with or in front of him. He must have unwrapped a dozen brand new balls and driven them off miles into the trees. "Hey," I said to him eventually, "you should use old balls for practice."

"I know," he said sadly, "trouble is I've never had any."

New words

Linguists in the US have decided that 'truthiness' is a valid word. It's defined as the quality of stating concepts one wishes or believes to be true, rather than the facts. I guess statements about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction were 'truthy' rather than 'facty'.

whaletailI have to admit that the new word I liked best was 'whale tail'.

Apparently that's the part of a thong that shows above the waistband of a pair of shorts or jeans. I suggest that lady keeps well away from Japanese whalers. She might get harpooned.

This site is certified 36% EVIL by the Gematriculator
back 

arrow
teomalink