Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year & The Dropsy

Track of the day

relaxOh misery! I woke up this morning thinking that it was New Year's Day so I muttered the obligatory "White Rabbits," and promptly drifted off to sleep again.

This is worrying because it's been going on for a couple of weeks now, the drifting off, not the muttering of "White Rabbits." I have always leapt out of bed as soon as I woke up but recently I've been sleeping much later. The thought occurs that it might be the onset of dropsy or even 'the palsy'.

On the other hand it may just be that I am pissed off at being passed over yet again in the Queen's New Year Honours List. I would have thought that my services to Bogsville drinking holes should have been recognised in some small way.

50 years ago

The final of Stoke Prior Women's Darts League at the Ewe and Lamb pub had to be delayed when it was found that a new bristle board was too solid and caused the darts to bounce off like golf balls. A male onlooker stepped forward to try his luck and, to the delight of the players, he also failed. The match finally got underway using an old cork board. The winner of the knock-out competition was Barbara Grazier, of the Ewe and Lamb.

Meanwhile in Bromsgrove, magistrates fined a woman cyclist from Bogsville, 15 shillings (75p) for not dismounting at a halt sign at the junction of Twatling Road and Fiery Hill Road. What a bunch of total twatlings! It's a well known fact that Bogsville women have an almost feline quality, once they are mounted it's almost impossible to get them to dismount.

hogmanay

Hogmanay

I spent a few years in Aberdeen Scotland and was surprised to see this image on a website advertising this year's Hogmanay offerings. My advice would be to wear a much longer kilt. The weather has been known to get quite chilly up there.

I suppose you could always put a hot water bottle in your sporran. 12 miles south down the coast at Stonehaven there is an annual fireball swinging procession. Here is a picture of Mark "Big Ball" Anderson swinging one of his big ones in 2001.
back 

arrow
teomalink