Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Beans Are Best

Track of the day Black Night - Deep Purple.

power cutThe whole of today's post disappeared at ten o'clock last night. I was making a cup of coffee when all the power went off and I was left rooting around in the dark for a box of matches.

By the time I'd sorted out the candles and peered out of the windows to see if anyone else had electricity, tripped over the dog, remembered that the gas hob would still work and finished brewing the caffeine, the computer had run out of UPS time and all my open, notebook files had disappeared without trace.

Fizzy drinks ctd.

Yesterday I announced that sugar packed fizzy drinks boost memory power so it now grieves me to have to announce that
According to research published in 2003, kids breakfasting on fizzy drinks and sugary snacks performed at the level of an average 70-year-old in tests of memory and attention. Beans on toast is a far better combination.
Toast alone boosted children's scores on a variety of cognitive tests, but when the tests got tougher, the breakfast with the high-protein beans worked best.
I don't know which is worse, being full of gas from fizzy drinks or full of gas from eating beans. Either way it isn't going to help the ozone layer but it should help with the sales of air fresheners.

Exciting news

Some Yale professor or other's research shows that
"marathon runners 50 and older and female athletes in particular, are showing greater improvement in running times than younger runners".
So there you are, the gallons of fizzy drinks drunk by youngsters, slows them down because they have to stop and pee every five minutes whereas the jet engine effect caused by eating all those healthy beans actually speeds up the healthy eating old farts.

Note for the milkman

"Please don't leave any milk today. When I say today, I mean tomorrow, because I wrote this yesterday.
Please do not leave milk at No.15 either as he is dead until further notice."
back 

arrow
teomalink