Friday, August 03, 2007

Invaded By Brown Rats

Track of the day - Hoots Mon - Lord Rockingham's XI.

heron_jpg
Here's a fun entry.
We woke up yesterday to find we'd been invaded by brown rats.
Three rats were gambolling around the lawn at the back of the house. One was a brown brute, the female no doubt, that dwarfed the other two. They seem to have decided that the Bogs bird food that gets dropped from the feeders is to their liking especially as they can wash it down with pond water and have dug themselves a handy home in a rockery.
Needless to say we've stopped feeding the birds and started leaving little piles of rat poison along the bottom of hedges and against walls.
I don't feel good about it, in fact I feel bloody awful about it but the rats aren't likely to toddle off to somewhere else before they've increased the local rat population.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the field mouse but I guess I've finished him off too.
Three piles of the poison pellets had been taken by this morning and another two by this evening. I've covered most of them with half sections of plastic piping and the neighbours don't have cats or dogs.
If there's no sign of the rats tomorrow I'll clear the stuff away.
Mrs B has, for some reason, decided she doesn't want to be in the garden with the rats so we spent most of today watching heron in a canal.
I suspect that we were a lot closer to rats there than at home in the Bogsville Heights rattery.

Here's some bedtime reading for you.

back 

arrow
teomalink