Monday, July 30, 2007

Rather Like Sinbad

The sun appeared yesterday so I took a break from flat pack book cases and carried the Sunday papers into the garden.
I'd been reading for about ten minutes when I realised that vision through my left eye was blurred, a bit like looking through frosted glass or a lens that has been smeared with Vaseline.
My eye had felt a bit gritty when I woke up.
I cleaned my glasses and discovered that I could see a whole lot better without them than with them.
So much better, in fact, that for the first time in fifteen years I was able to read the small print on a label.
I announced my discovery to Mrs B, made a mental note to visit the optician first thing on Monday morning to get the miracle recorded for medical science and proceeded to read out loud from everything that had printing on it.
Half an hour later I decided that my left eye wasn't performing as well as it had been so, rather like Sinbad, I gave it a good rub with the palm of my hand and a contact lens dropped out.
This was confusing because I hadn't worn my lenses for days, not since we went off to search for flat pack book cases last Thursday morning.
I set off to the bathroom to check the contact lens pots. The bloody pots sat there empty, peering up at me from the shelf.
When I checked my right eye, I found a lens in there too. No wonder I could see better without my glasses.
Tomorrow I have my annual appointment at the Eye Hospital, which is just as well because I don't think it's a good idea to wear contact lenses for four days without cleaning them.

The mail just arrived. One brown envelope addressed to me.
Change of ophthalmology clinic appointment.
Unfortunately it has been necessary to change your appointment on Monday 6th August 2007 at 11.00 am.
Your new appointment is now on Monday 1st October 2007 at 09:00 am.
This is now the third time they have canceled my original 5th March appointment - March then June and then August. It's way beyond a joke. A lot can happen to your eyesight in seven months especially when you leave your contact lenses in for 90 hours.
I still have a field of vision test set for tomorrow afternoon so I expect I'll end up being incredibly rude to some poor little girl on reception who is in no way responsible for all the cancellations. I'll ask her to point me in the direction of the complaints department.

back 

arrow
teomalink