Thursday, January 26, 2006

Late Night Drinking Sessions

Track of the day Hot Popcorn - Bernard Purdie.

I'm back from the 'funereals'. As funerals go it was a well attended affair. Civic dignitaries and people from all over the place. It's amazing how many "really close friends" can watch a guy destroy his liver with alcohol and then, at his funeral, tell amusing stories about late night drinking sessions. I would expect real friends to take a more proactive interest in their buddy's health.

The Aberdeen that I knew doesn't seem to exist any more. It used to advertise itself as the Silver City with the Golden Sands. It now seems to be a granite car park. Illuminated signs announce 20 mph restrictions, speed humps destroy your suspension and one way systems have sprung up everywhere. It all seems futile because cars are parked nose to tail on both sides of the majority of roads making it impossible to reach 20 mph anywhere.

There are parking meters in quiet, upmarket residential streets where residents pay 40 pounds a year for a permit to park outside their own property but get a penalty ticket if they park on the opposite side of the street.

I now know why she with ants in her pants flies to Aberdeen whenever she visits. She's there in two hours and taxi drivers know how to avoid the congestion. It's much quicker and is cheaper too. I drove for nine hours and when I arrived I was plunged into a motorist's version of hell.

Burns Night

A guy at the funeral told me that he thought Burns' lyrics were very interesting. He asked me if I could recommend any of his CDs. I didn't like to point out that Burns has been dead for over 200 years.

I also heard someone asking if Scotsmen celebrated Burns Night by wearing large spectacles and smoking cigars. I expect George Burns would have appreciated that one. I'm not sure what Robbie Burns' reaction would have been.
back 

arrow
teomalink