Sunday, July 24, 2005

Short Buskers And Long John Baldry

lynchabusker

Life for busking musicians can be difficult in London especially during lynch a busker week. One bum note and the strummer is likely to be suspended from the nearest lamppost. I hear that it's very good for old buskers with dodgy backs and short buskers who always wanted to be taller.

Long John Baldry

Long John Baldry has died in Vancouver aged 64. I have one nonmusical memory of the guy. Years ago at a dance somewhere in the frozen north, I was staggering round the edge of the dance floor. A guy sitting at a table at the edge of the floor started to laugh. I thought he was laughing at me so I stopped and asked him what the Hell he thought was so funny.

The guy started to get up from his chair and he just went up and up and kept on going right up to 6 foot 7 inches. I was terrified. I couldn't believe the height of that guy. He hadn't noticed me, hadn't heard what I said, hadn't been laughing at me and certainly wouldn't have remembered me, but I certainly remembered him.

At the time he was on a Steam Packet tour with Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger. I still listen to a fine version of the Tim Rose song Morning Dew that he recorded on a 1996 album A Thrill's a Thrill: The Canadian Years.

Boy Naturists

I would just like to point out to the 4 visitors who came here looking for Boy Naturists, that we do not do Boy Naturists here in Bogsville. The nearest you'll get to it is the Bogsville Buck Nekkid Appeal. Sorry about that.
back 

arrow
teomalink