Friday, July 22, 2005

Praying Mantis

Latest news: Man shot dead by police on Tube

praying mantis

There was a large, green insect standing in the dead grass. It didn't move. I knew it was a praying mantis because I'd read about them in books, but I'd never seen one in the flesh so to speak.

It just stood there with one front leg lifted and tried to look like grass. It failed miserably.

I went off to find something to put it in so that I could show it to the family. All I could find was a small, red, plastic bucket. I took it back to the base of the tree and the mantis climbed in. I put a book over the top just in case it tried to climb back out.

We got the camera, the book was removed and the damn thing bit me.

I was pointing a finger at its head when the thing launched itself and probably pinched the end of my finger between its front legs. Felt like it bit me. I think that's what they do when whatever they eat comes close enough to them. They stand totally immobile and then launch and grab. Just goes to prove, don't disturb a mantis when it is praying.

The most endearing quality of the female mantis is that she sometimes eats the male after mating. Now how cool is that?

Mantis picture.

back 

arrow
teomalink