Sunday, July 03, 2005

Nothing Changes

"Take care of him God send him victory - as to all ministers & their business I have a Contempt for them. He wou'd do all the business of the nation whilst the others are snoring."

Quotation is from a letter written by Emma Hamilton to Nelson's secretary, on 14 September 1805, the day after Nelson left her to rejoin HMS Victory before the Battle of Trafalgar. Nothing, it seems, ever changes.

The lady had been the C18th's version of a high class pole or table dancer and was accused at the time of being brainless.

I'm not so sure about that. She had enough brain to pull guys with money and enough brain to be able to see that her husband was doing the dirty jobs while the ministers were sitting safe at home. Nothing changes.

Were You There?

I heard about a house party for 500 people where the catering budget was set at £1000 UK per head. Excuse my maths but isn't that £500,000 just for food!

That is apparently typical of what the severely unimpoverished allow for the catering at their functions.

I have to admit that when I heard that, it made me want to vomit. I sincerely hope that the 500 guests actually did.

A Past Page

I thought there were some nice quotes here. Sorry if any of them belong to you.

back 

arrow
teomalink