Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Excavating Expertise

Pa was well known for his hole digging skills. He'd start digging on a Saturday morning and when he'd got down about four feet, he'd stop, climb out, fill it in and then start again in another section of the yard. The neighbours would look out of their windows and marvel at his excavating expertise.

That's why the lady from next door came round one afternoon at about five o'clock and asked if Pa was in.

She explained that their corgi dog had died and that her husband was too upset to deal with it himself. He was all heart that guy. He loved that little dog so much he used to take it in his garage and give it a walloping whenever he was in a loving mood. Used to wallop his wife too but not in the garage as I recall.

"I'll do it for you," said Pa, "just give me a minute or two to finish my meal."

He set off with his shovel at about six and was back by half past eight.

"Easy," he said, "no problems at all except that it got dark before I'd finished."

He went off to have a wash and then sat down to read his paper. He searched around in his pockets.

"Anyone seen my glasses?" he asked.
"You hadn't got them on when you came back in." Ma said.
"I remember. I took them off while I was digging the hole. I'll be back in a minute."

It was just before midnight when he got back.

He'd found his glasses. Three feet down next to the little corgi.

Excavator extraordinaire, my Pa.

Is this a design masterpiece or what?

I keep going over to Zazzafooky.com just to stare at it. I could sit and stare at that page for hours. I think it's the green eyes... The lady writes well too. Had a real go at someone today.

Three or four days ago B. at Age Ventures wrote that my page was "like a gentle belch". Nicest thing anyone ever said. I was deeply moved.

back 

arrow
teomalink