Saturday, June 11, 2005

Leave A Ladder In The Yard

I sleep with the bedroom window open to let cool air in. Sometimes, even in winter, I overheat and have to walk around until I'm cool enough to get back in for the rest of the night.

During one of these cool down jaunts I decided to look out of the window. As I opened the curtain there was a movement. My reflection I thought until I realized I could only see the top of a head and that I didn't own a beanie. To get a clearer view I cleared the condensation with the heel of my hand and the glass squeaked. For a second or two I was face to face with some guy who had climbed 15 feet up a drainpipe to get to the open window. Then he vanished.

He jumped backwards off the drainpipe and there was a thud as he landed in the front garden. Luckily he landed on the rain sodden lawn rather than the rose bushes. He ran off down the sidewalk and disappeared.

The poor guy must have been to a party, drunk too much, mistaken my house for his own and lost his key. He'd obviously decided to climb in through the open window rather than ring the bell and risk the wrath of his sleeping wife and he must have got the fright of his life when he saw me peering out at him from what he thought was his own bedroom.

At peace with the world and pretty well cooled down, I closed the curtain and ambled back to bed.

A week later I got home from work to find that the tv, the video recorder and a leather coat had gone.

His wife, sick of his late nights, must have thrown him out and the poor guy had come back to collect some of his things.

You've got to feel for these guys with unsympathetic wives. I leave a ladder in the yard now. It's a risky business jumping off drainpipes.

Hobart Private Recovering From Burst Pipe.

What a let down. Turns out that Hobart Private is the name of a hospital.

back 

arrow
teomalink