Wednesday, June 15, 2005

How To Lose A Kid's Trust

Jimmy was a scrawny little bag of bones whose nose dripped like a faulty faucet. He couldn't read or add up and wouldn't do anything unless he could bring it to show to me. He followed me around everywhere. For some reason I was to be trusted.

I'd feel a tug at my sleeve, look down and there would be Jimmy staring up. He'd grab my hand so he could walk with me. It wasn't always a pleasant experience because what dripped out of his nose ended up on the backs of his hands and sleeves.

He was sent to me one morning break with a helicopter he had drawn. Helicopters were his speciality. He always drew them upside down.

I told him it was so good he should show it to the Principal. I took him down to the Principal's room but the guy wasn't there. We were told he would be back in a few minutes. I wrote a note for Jimmy and left him standing outside the door with his book and the note in his hand.

At the end of the morning break the Principal found Jimmy standing outside his room, assumed he was there for disciplinary reasons, hauled him inside and beat him. Jimmy never spoke to me again.

If you read this and know Jimmy - tell him I still feel lousy about it.

back 

arrow
teomalink