Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Antique Araldite

Track of the day - I am a Pig and you are a Cow - Prince Edward Island.

araldite_glue

I think it's time to invest in some new glue. The Araldite I used today to fix the handle back on the chisel is clearly marked to sell at 6/-.
That means it must have been bought in those good old, pre decimalisation days here in the UK when there were twelve pence in a shilling and twenty shillings in a pound and I was still a carefree lad about town.
Decimalisation took place in the UK on February 15th 1971 so that makes the antique Araldite at least 37 years old.
It still comes out of the tube ok but will it go rock hard? - as the art mistress said to the gardener. Aye there's the rub, as someone else said.
I think I'll send the picture to Araldite. They might send me some of their 2008 vintage.
P.S. 6/- is the equivalent of 30pence in new fangled decimal currency. In 1971 the change from your pound, after you'd paid for the Araldite, would have bought you two gallons of petrol.
back 

arrow
teomalink