Friday, January 21, 2005

Belkin UPS

Friday.

White van man has just delivered my Belkin UPS. It is now plugged in and the computer and monitor are running through it. I've got a horrible feeling that it isn't powerful enough for what I've got running on it. It certainly isn't according to Belkin's Wizard. We'll see. I only need time to close my applications after the power goes off. It should be good enough for that.

I notice that Kerio is flashing green and red arrows at me again. I closed it down yesterday and just used the XP firewall but it has come back now that I've rebooted through the UPS. I'll leave it running for the moment but if I find it's blocking rather than asking me what I want to allow - it's coming out again.

I notice that Abe Robsmann's story was still running here.Milt's 5 seconds of fame in Wakefield continued for a short while.

Blackout Burglary Blues

A woman who lives opposite us was out all day on Tuesday when Bogsville enjoyed its third or fourth power cut of the Winter.

By the time that she got home at 10p.m. the power was back on.

She had spent the day in a part of town that had enjoyed an uninterrupted power supply and was horrified to find a solid silver candlestick in the middle of the hall floor when she opened the front door. Obviously the work of burglars.

She ran round the empty house trying to identify what had been taken but could see nothing suspicious.

Her son had got fed up sitting in the dark and had gone off to find somewhere with power. He had left the candlestick for her where it would be accessible when she came in.

I have turned Kerio off again. What is the point of having a super fast connection if your firewall is going to reduce it to the speeds I used to get six years ago?

back 

arrow
teomalink