Thursday, January 13, 2005

My Slave Is Not Deceased

Thursday.

No sooner did I think that everything was back to normal with the slave drive than it packed in again.

The good news is that I had time to transfer all the photographs I had taken over the last two years. The bad news is that I didn't transfer the email accounts or the software. I'm just hoping that the drive comes back up for half an hour today sometime.

Merl suggested I took the drive out and stuck it in one of his machines to see if he could get anything off it. If nothing works here Merl I'll take you up on that offer and Raul might just get a visit at some stage too because he knows more about operating systems and hardware than anyone else in Bogsville.

Panic Over

Relax guys - no visits hdd in hand today! The slave drive - a Western Digital - was removed from the box and reconnected on the CD ribbon as suggested by Raul. I told you he knows about these things! It powered up immediately and I have transferred just about everything to the main drive.

XP can find nothing wrong with the drive and it's defragging right now, despite the fact that defrag says it doesn't need it.

I am testing it to destruction because now I just don't care. All I've got to do now is sort out the jumble of files that I shifted over to the main drive. I've got so many versions of documents & settings now that it beggars belief. As I said yesterday - It keeps me off the streets.

Dog can go for a walk now.

I'll have to celebrate tonight.

back 

arrow
teomalink