Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Muck Spreading blacks out Bogsville

Wednesday.

Even quieter in Bogsville today now that Mrs Bogs has returned to work.

I set off with Dog to walk around the local farmer's fields only to discover that the guy had been muck spreading. The smell was overpowering and Dog lost his sense of direction on numerous occasions but eventually we managed to get on a track far enough away from the muck spreading to let him use his nose again. I'm amazed at how well he is. He really was a very sick hound.

When we got back home we found that the power was off. I suppose it was off for about 40 minutes, just long enough to make you realise that electricity is absolutely vital for today's world to function. No light, no heating and no communication. I wonder how the supermarkets, garages, banks etc coped?

Years ago people just lit candles, put more coal on the fire, went on cooking on the gas stove and shopkeepers went on using their mechanical tills. No danger then of computers losing data - there were no computers.

Seems to me that if you want to bring a country to its knees all you have to do is cut its power supplies. Merl has his own generator - I wonder if he got it powered up before the normal supply was restored?

I found this while I was out surfing today. Seems that church signs are big business though Amazon.com are currently offering 10% off church sign books. I think I'll set off with my camera tomorrow and see what I can find locally.

God and power companies willing!

See more like this here.

P.S. The Hospital informs us that Father-in-law is much better today and should be able to go home as soon as they find someone to run a couple more tests on him. I just hope he doesn't pick up any more bugs while he's waiting.

back 

arrow
teomalink