Thursday, January 06, 2005

Shoes

Thursday.

Where on earth do you go if you want a decent pair of shoes these days? I have just walked all round Bogsville looking for a pair of black shoes to wear with a suit. In the past I've been able to find Grenson or Barker shoes in any number of shops but not any more. They still make them - I just can't find anywhere that sells them.

If I wanted shoes that look like trainers I would have had no problems at all. Everywhere sells the same foreign made, poorly finished junk, made out of genuine imitation leather. All I can say is there must be a hell of a lot of imitation cows out there.

It seems to me that I am living in a throw away society where quality goods that last for more than two or three months are no longer required. No wonder retail shops are struggling to make sales. They don't stock anything worth buying. Yes I can buy shoes on-line but who is going to spend money on a pair of shoes without trying them on?

Eventually I got a pair of Grenson shoes but only because I got in the car and drove to a town where they still have a traditional Men's outfitters that is trying to compete with a massive out-of-town shopping mall. I was entertained by the guy's tales of clothing companies going into liquidation and was given a lurid description of the drug dealings in the alleyway opposite the shop and left with a pair of shoes and some linen handkerchiefs.

Looks like things are looking up for that blogger in Wulverampton England who invited me over. It's a long way to go for a might be, old pal. I'll stick to Merl and Raul in the Hole in the Ground for the moment - Better the Devil that you know and all that.....

back 

arrow
teomalink