Saturday, January 22, 2005

Belkin UPS Part 2

Saturday.

So much for the uninterruptable power supply - I just pressed the button and it shut me down mid-post!

I spent part of the evening discussing with Merl whether said UPS was powerful enough. When I got home I unplugged the UPS to see if computer and monitor stayed on. The monitor went off, the computer stayed on.

Obviously the UPS wasn't powerful enough to support my equipment.

This morning I unplugged it again to pack it up for return and replacement. It kept beeping at me because it was unplugged and fully charged so I plugged the monitor in to flatten the battery.

The monitor powered up. I plugged the computer in and it powered up too. XP loaded - I logged on while the UPS beeped at me every 15 seconds or so - telling me that the power was off. I closed XP and eventually shut down the computer.

I have now reconnected the UPS as it seems to do everything that I need it to do. The monitor went off last night because I had it connected to one of the surge-only protection sockets.

The UPS will probably burn out in the next half hour!

Update. It is now May and the UPS continues to operate - so does the local power supply.

back 

arrow
teomalink