Friday, May 25, 2007

European Cup Final Tickets

Track of the day - Let There Be Love - Nat Cole & George Shearing.

The bar was full of young men wearing red soccer shirts. The match was over and their team had lost. I assumed that they would be leaving as they usually do when a match is over. I was wrong.
When it came, the thump from behind that nearly took my left arm out of its socket was totally unexpected.
I turned and found myself eye to navel with an oversized beer belly that seemed about to burst out of an extra, extra large red soccer shirt.
"What's your f***ing problem?
You got a f***ing problem?
What are you looking at?
Turn your f***ing face away!
Turn your f***ing face away!
"
I decided to turn my whole f***ing back on him but that seemed to make matters worse.
I was just beginning to regret not having my dial a policeman mobile phone with me when four or five guys came to my rescue.
"Leave it Baldev! That's enough Baldev!" and eventually they pulled him away.
They got him half way to the door before he started effing and blinding at full volume again and threatening to kill anyone who touched him.
Long haired barman, chair stacker and self proclaimed expert on metal bands wandered over and a few seconds later the pair of them were trading obscenities and threats of bloody violence.
There were now two groups of guys blocking the exit. One red shirted group restraining oversized beer belly and the other group restraining long haired chair stacker who was now taking very loud deep breaths and staring wildly at the ceiling.
I couldn't get out and as everyone seemed to have forgotten about me, I finished my beer and took advantage of the empty bar to order another.
"Just another typical night in the Hole in the Ground," said the barmaid as she put my money in the till.
When I did eventually leave, the posturing and shouting was still going on. It had just moved out of the bar into the car park.

Someone explained to me that oversized beer belly had two unused tickets for that night's European Cup Final in Athens in his pocket.
He was one of the 150 Liverpool supporters who couldn't get to the match because their plane had developed a mechanical fault and was withdrawn from service.
What a shame!
Pity it doesn't happen more often when total assholes like him are travelling abroad.


lifescreen link
back 

arrow
teomalink