Thursday, August 31, 2006

National Savings Certificate

Track of the day Phoenix (excerpt) - Nerve Engine.

gilt-edged-securitiesToday I am mostly feeling cheated. We've found a 57 year old £1 National Savings certificate that I got when I first started school. With the 57 years of added interest it should be worth at least £3. Some investment that was. I phoned up to find out how much it was worth and the lady said it wasn't even registered on her computer, at least I think that's what she said, she did have a very strong Scottish accent. It took months to get that certificate. I took money to school every Monday morning for weeks to buy National Savings stamps to get that damn certificate. The stamps were exchanged for the certificate when you had enough stamps stuck in your savings book. I liked the stamps, they had a red squirrel on them.

It'll now cost me more to send a letter to some obscure office or other asking for it to be valued than the certificate is actually worth. I'm going to do it anyway. As the guy doing the football commentary said, " You don't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket". Here in Bogsville we have a similar saying, "You don't win the lottery even when you buy a ticket".

As if that wasn't exciting enough I find that I have a Trustee Savings Bank account that has had 60p in it since 1973. If I don't go and reactivate the account or close it permanently, Blair and his Treasury are going to snaffle my savings, all 60p of them.


logo_leeds_uk_heavy metal_rock_band_nerve engine.
back 

arrow
teomalink