Thursday, June 08, 2006

Exit Stage Left

Track of the day Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry.

breakspear arms public house ruislipYesterday's drive south was uneventful. The weather was fine, the traffic very light and the voice from the dashboard only managed "recalculating" once. I got to Ruislip with well over an hour to spare before the 4:15pm funeral service so I pulled into the carpark of the Breakspear Arms. After a relaxed half pint, a couple of smokes and a pee, I tootled on down the hill to the crematorium and wandered off to watch people arrive.

breakspear crematorium ruislipIt was a quiet, peaceful spot. Two large, black funeral cars were parked outside the main building and an elderly couple were sitting on a bench watching the grass grow on the manicured lawns.

I walked over to the main door and had a look at a noticeboard. There was a timetable of services for the day and there it was, the last name on the list, Mr C E Cadman 3:15pm. I looked at my watch - it was 3:45pm.
Dear Chris,

I really am very sorry about the 'cock-up' with the timing. Never was much good with numbers.

I was there. It's just that I was outside and everybody else was inside. Plus ça change and all that... And now I've come over all weepy. [exit stage left in search of a tissue]

Milt.
back 

arrow
teomalink