Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Volvo V40 Earth Error

Track of the day Damn This Groove - Oz Noy.

tow"The best thing you can do is bring it back when it's making the noise," said the service manager at my friendly local Volvo dealership. Is this guy predictable or what?
"Won't the fault show up on the computer? It's got to be electrical."
"I doubt it very much," he said, "but I'll plug it in anyway and give it a quick check."

Error messages everywhere. He couldn't believe his eyes. It was a bit like watching an Apple user getting to grips with a Microsoft product. I suspect it was the first time he'd seen anything show up.
'Earth error, siren motor error' and a few others I can't remember.
"Can you leave it with us sir? We'll have to erase all the error readings and test it again. It might need parts."
The last bit sounded pretty ominous to me.
He means it will need parts because they strip out and replace everythingand everything until they find what is faulty. It's a foolproof but very expensive way of fixing a fault. I'll probably find they want to replace the central locking and alarm systems, the battery and "The wiring looms are six years old now and could do with replacing. Have you thought of upgrading to a new V50 or V70 sir?"

As the long walk home took me past his shop, I dropped in to visit Duane, the mad barber. That was fun and relatively inexpensive.

The phone rang.
"Your car has started clicking again. It's the siren unit Mr Bogs. The cost of a replacement unit is £90. Do you want us to go ahead and order one for you?"
"Yes. I've had enough of the clicking."

Volvo is staying out at the dealership tonight. I have no intention of walking back up that hill to fetch it. £90 for the part and a one hour labour charge of £80 for unscrewing and replacing a few bolts. Oh shite! Poor old Duane the mad barber would have to cut 13.5 heads of hair an hour to match Volvo's labour charges. No wonder they went into receivership.
back 

arrow
teomalink