Sunday, December 18, 2005

Pa Didn't Sing Like Bing Crosby

Advent Calendar

Decoration ideas

It's never too late to decorate thanks to TCraft.

pubsantaMy self imposed vow of silence is going well. I'm much better at mastering silence than I am at giving up smoking. It runs in the family. Every now and then I clear my throat and say "Yes I think so," just to prove to myself that the silence isn't because I've gone totally deaf or been struck dumb.

The words "Yes I think so," and "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party," are deeply embedded in my memory.

My father used to say them over and over, first thing every morning while he was shaving, as a test piece for his vocal cords. He had a hoarse voice, probably because he smoked but also because he had a wart or two on his larynx. Is it ok to write that before 9.00pm? This condition had helped Bing Crosby and Ruby Murray, (Ruby Murray?) but it didn't do anything for Pa's singing voice.

The first lines of "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner" would croak out from the bathroom and I'd know that we were in for another Christmas with Pa's head under a towel, over a bowl of Friar's Balsam and boiling water. It was a sign that another holiday period would be spent at home.

Ma said the voice loss was psychosomatic and only came on when he wanted to avoid family gatherings. He denied it of course but my mother was a very shrewd woman.

"Yes I think so. Ahahhh mmnnn. Yeesss. Ahahhh." Do I detect just a slight hoarseness there? Did you hear hoarseness? Where's the Friar's Balsam?
back 

arrow
teomalink