Friday, November 25, 2005

What Make Is Your Sax?

crookI was pretty sure that it was a Mark VI tenor saxophone. The only thing that didn't ring true was the strengthening bar under the crook. I'd seen one of those before but it was on a Conn.

In need of a pee I set off for the washroom. A guy came in and stood next to me. It was the guy with the sax with the reinforced crook.
"Excuse me," I said, "I hope you don't mind me asking but what make is your sax?"
"I beg your pardon!"
"What make is your sax?
"What?"
"It looks like a Selmer but I've never seen one with a bar under the crook."
"Oooh really. Poor you! I'm afraid you've got the wrong guy," he said.
"Look, I've been watching you all night," I said. "I'm not stupid."
"You might not be but you've got the wrong guy this time."

Annoyed, I zipped up, washed my hands and went back outside. The saxophone was sitting in its stand on the stage. The prat with the strange saxophone was still in the washroom. Just my luck to try to talk to a real prima donna.I stormed back to the table and told the story about the awkward son of a bitch. Mrs B. looked at me and said,
"Are you sure you got the right guy?"
"Of course I got the right guy. Dark hair, moustache, green corduroy jacket. Not many guys like that in here. I don't care how good a player he is. The guy's a prat."
"Well I don't know who you were just talking to but the tenor guy is in the bandroom. He went back there when you went for a pee."
"No he's in the washroom. I was just speaking to him."

At that moment the bandroom door opened and the tenor player came out. Over by the washroom a man with a moustache and a green corduroy jacket was pointing me out to a group of guys who all waved and blew me a kiss.
back 

arrow
teomalink