Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Exodus of the Oldies

50 years ago or thereabouts two very earnest young men padlocked their bicycles to a lamp-post in Bogsville, removed their cycle clips and set off round the houses where they announced "The end of the World is nigh."

They handed out little magazines of comfort and then peddled off into the sunset.

The Exodus of the Oldies took place a few days later on a misty September 20 morning in 1954 or it might have been 1955, my memory often plays tricks with me.

armageddonAnyway this is the last known photograph of the happy band of Oldies as they wended their way up to the higher ground safety of Bogsville Bump or Bonk, as it was known by generations of randy Bogsville teens before the invention of the motor car and drive-ins.

The Oldies quite simply disappeared. They may just have kept on walking and ended up somewhere else or they may still be up there on the top of Bogsville Bonk. Sometimes on frosty evenings you can hear the ghostly sound of distant voices singing this really annoying ditty,

I love to go a-wandering along the mountain track,
And as I go, I love to sing, my knapsack on my back.
Val-da-ree, val-da-rah,
Val-da-ree, val-da-rah ha-ha-ha- ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

White is right

I have now got fed up with the poop colored background and gorn back to startling white. I won't write on colored paper and don't trust anything written on any shade of yellow. I think I'll call this color B&H white.

Ejaculations

I have just discovered "jiminy glick!" and "oh shit martin short!" both of which struck me as being particularly worthy of note. I hope to use both of them, preferably in association with woo-hoo!

Californians

Whatever happened to a sixties band called the Californians, that's era not age group? Does anyone have a track called Golden Apples? It has to be by the Californians. No other version will do.
back 

arrow
teomalink