Sunday, August 28, 2005

Donate Organs

It has been noted that I am a regular visitor to the Tulip & Tiara bar here in Bogsville. The visits are all of a medical nature. They are designed to keep Bogsville's dwindling band of medical professionals in business. Last night was bar free. As a result I don't know what is going on in Bogsville but I did discover that there is a plot afoot to donate my organs post mortem.

Somehow I fear that if the said organs won't support me, they are unlikely to support anyone else. I'm safer in the Tulip & Tiara where Raul and Merl show no interest whatsoever in my organs.

Free Beer

Here's a terrific story that I have unashamedly lifted from sanityadrift.

Jim decided that his band would be called ‘Free Beer’, and having spent a semester in an introductory advertising class during his ‘business major’ period, went on a whirlwind marketing blitz for his upcoming debut. His fliers, taped and stapled to virtually every signpost and bulletin board within the entire campus community, exclaimed in an extra large font, "Saturday at The Hole, Free Beer from 11-12pm!"

He chose the band’s name for precisely this reason, he told me. While, technically speaking, there was a certain amount of truth to his advertising, he felt that possible misconceptions would draw extra people into the bar, thus giving him a much larger audience than normally would appear for a group of minimally talented musicians who had only been practicing together for a few short weeks.

That Saturday, the bar was packed by 10:30. I venture out to watch Jim’s debut performance with some friends of mine. Unfortunately, by 11:00 the already drunk and rowdy college crowd, upon finding out that the promised ‘Free Beer’ wasn’t the same free beer that they were expecting, got even rowdier and uglier in the process. I slipped out the door with my other friends at 11:05, which was the exact moment that the first beer bottle was thrown in the direction of the stage.

I later found out from Jim that his band’s first concert lasted exactly 12 minutes. It took this long for the owner of the bar to kick his band off the stage, followed quickly by them all slipping out the back door. Jim’s first performance ended up costing his band over $500…the amount of damage that a crowd of rowdy college kids expecting free beer can produce in 12 minutes worth of time. The band broke up after that.

Go and read the story in its entirety under the heading The Price Of Fame.

back 

arrow
teomalink