Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Red Lake - Jeff Weise

Tuesday

I came across this personal entry when I was searching for Red Lake news. The site doesn't exist any more so I have mixed feelings about posting any part of it.

It was obviously written by someone who knew the people who died on March 21st in Red Lake and who referred to Jeffrey Weise as a friend.

“I wanted 2 make this site because I had alot of friends pass away. 2 of Suicide, and on March 21st, 2005.. i lost a lot of friends in the Red Lake highschool shooting.=-( i was in the classroom that Jeff shot in..(rowells biology class)  I was friends with the shooter...so i am NOT going to say anything bad about him, or let others do so...Yes, we all know he fucked things up for many ppl on this reservation,BUT. He was still my friend,Alwayz&4ever. So if you have ANYTHING bad to say about Jeff...keep that shit to YOURSELF..dont come to me bitchin and talkin shit about my homie in front of me...
*Jeff--The gunman...My friend..he loved to draw. Ya did it Jeff...you were ALL OVER the TV. I wish i can tell you how much i really cared for you, and how much people you hurt. Im mad because you killed so many of my friends...but....i forgive you. I know you were hurting.But its still no reason to kill another person. No matter how upset you are, but i know you are in a better place..with your dad. Your not in pain anymore,Jeff.all that really matters.”

What strikes me about the piece is the tone of fierce loyalty, that smacks of self defense - “dont come to me bitchin and talkin shit about my homie in front of me...”, the comment, “Ya did it Jeff...you were ALL OVER the TV”, and,“ but i know you are in a better place..with your dad.”

It's tough and it doesn't pull any punches. It doesn't set out to excuse what Weise did. Kids write about how they feel and about what is real to them.

The original piece included personal tributes to all those who died. I have only included those paragraphs that included references to Jeffrey Weise.

La Crosse Tribune, July 2005 - Family of Red Lake killer still trying to understand.

back 

arrow
teomalink