Wednesday, June 14, 2006

No Wonder They Can't Find Bin Laden

Track of the day James Bond Theme

secret_intelligence _serviceIn the belief that MI5 has been dumbed down and would nowadays be unrecognisable to the faceless men and women who worked there forty years ago, I moved on to MI6. The secret intelligence network is obviously like Windows operating systems, the higher the number the better. Yes, MI6 has a website too with a 'how you can help us page' that it shares with MI5. It also has a post office box, PO Box 3255 London SW1P 1AE, that you can contact.

A PO Box, now that's more like it I thought and moved straight to the technology jobs page. There I found one that was promising,
"We are looking for people with a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalents at Grade C and above (including Maths and English); previous Computer Helpdesk or 1st line support experience; experience of Microsoft Office, Touchpaper or similar helpdesk packages; and an aptitude for other Microsoft applications."
Bloody hell, what happened to invisible ink, red carnations and rolled up copies of The Times? No wonder they can't find bin Laden. I know why they're looking for him but why are they looking for all those people with a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalents at Grade C and above (including Maths and English). What crimes against the state are they guilty of?

What they really need are a few dozen faceless people like me who blend right into the background. I'll give you an example of what I mean.

One night in the Hole in the Ground bar I spotted a guy I hadn't seen for years.
"Hi there George" I said. "How are you? Long time no see."
"Sorry, you're vaguely familiar but I can't remember who you are. It's your face. It's sort of..." and his words tailed off.
"Nondescript do you mean?" I suggested, eager to help him out.
"Exactly," he said, turned on his heel and walked off.
Here's a link to the MI6 technology jobs page and if the picture of the MI6 workstation at the bottom of the page is anything to go by, a sense of humour would be an asset.

The sticker on the back of the MI6 computer stating that their technology is 'some of the most innovative and advanced there is, but it has quite a unique purpose', needs correcting. Its purpose is either unique or it isn't so please leave out the word 'quite' will you? Maybe that's why Tony Blair only supports the security sevices 101 percent rather than the usual and equally meaningless 110 percent.

I'm off to watch the soccer.
back 

arrow
teomalink