Thursday, November 08, 2007

Messages From The Spirit World

Track of the day - Somewhere - Dave Brubeck.

aunt nellie

Aunt Nellie was my maternal grandmother's sister and she was watching a budgerigar when I took this photograph about fifty years ago.
For some inexplicable reason I've been trying to find Aunt Nellie's grave for the last two years.

Then three days ago I found some papers in a box that came from my father's house when he died. The papers indicated that my mother had purchased a cemetery plot in October 1960.
This worried me somewhat because when Ma died she was cremated, not buried. Not much chance of sorting that one out, I decided.
Then it dawned on me that Ma had bought the plot for Aunt Nellie. So I went looking for her grave again. I'd been looking in the wrong cemetery so it's not surprising that I hadn't been able to find it.

The cemetery manager found the grave for me easily enough.

aunt nellie

It was the only one in the row that had an unsafe tag attached to it.

I don't know whether my mother's side of the family believed in messages from the spirit world but my father's parents certainly did. He was a dab hand with a ouija board and held regular family séances that terrified my father. Somewhere there's a notebook in which Grandfather Bogs kept a record of the happenings. There are also some highly dubious photographs of people surrounded by ectoplasm. I'll have to find them.
Anyway, whichever spirit it was that sent me off in search of great aunt Nellie's grave, you can relax now because I got the message loud and clear and the headstone will be made safe.

Red Tape

This morning I was informed by a monumental stone mason that I can't just pay for the repair. I have to apply for official transfer of the plot to my name and get the documentation signed by a Justice of the Peace before the mason can touch the headstone.
I was about to contact the City Council to complain about all this red tape tripe when I discovered the following words, hidden away on a council web page.
"The council will arrange for and fund the cost of the repair of the headstone, without relatives having to get involved."
So they should. They damaged the headstone in the first place.

My spirit sources will be keeping a close eye on future events.

I'm now off to visit Prince Edward Island.
back 

arrow
teomalink